Recipe for a Tangy Butter Paneer
This is a simple dish with a hint of spice, and a lot of tang! My 5 year old daughter is self-declared vegetarian (okay once every few months she will eat meat if friends are), so cheese is one food that she still loves.
What is paneer?
Paneer is a cheese that some consider to be like cottage cheese. The texture is different, espeically if you buy paneer from a store. It isn't usually liquidy (whey) and can be soft to firm, depending on where you purchase your paneer.
Ingredients for Tangy butter paneer1-2 cups Paneer (cut into cubes)
1 cup tomato sauce (plain, or just blended blanched tomatoes, the riper the better)
4-6 cloves of garlic
1/2 inch chunk of fresh ginger
1 tsp vinegar
(or omit the above three and use a hearty spoon of ginger-garlic paste buy on Amazon )
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp red chili pepper (to taste)
1/2 c butter
1/4 c oil of your choice
Steps to make butter paneer
Prep: Blend your ginger and garlic with the vinegar.
- In a heavy bottom pan, melt butter and oil. When butter is melted, add in the ginger/garlic paste. You can see I don't make mine a full paste.
- Once it begins to brown bring heat down to lowest setting and add in tomato sauce.
- Stir well and add in sugar and chili powder.
- I added a bit more water to make it like a "soup" per my daughter's request.
- When it combines, add in paneer and simmer 5-8 minutes.
Serve with chapati or over rice.
Seen here on sauteed spinach and chicken.
The chicken and chapati were prepared by our cook... I cannot make a chapati for the life of me. :)
What's for dinner in your house?