- 2 American eggplants, un-peeled, cut into 1/2 - 3/4'' inch slices
- 3 medium russet potatoes, un-peeled, cut into 1/2 - 3/4'' inch slices and then cut in half
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon Black mustard seed
- Pinch of asafetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon Whole Cumin Seed
- 1 chopped green chili adjust to taste
- 1 tablespoon Crushed garlic
- 3/4-1 full white onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Seed, Ground
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
- salt to taste
- High quality cooking oil
Heat oil in pan and when hot, add the black mustard seed. When it begins to pop, stir and add hing. Stir and add in cumin seed, roast lightly add in coriander. Add in garlic stir, and add in the onion. Stir and when it is translucent, add in turmeric and chili. If you don't like it spicy, remove chili after it has cooked a few minutes.
Add in your potato and tomato. Stir and cover.
When eggplant is finished, peel (optional) and add into the pan. Stir well, add salt and cook for 15-25 minutes, until well mixed and potato is completely soft.
Serve with indian bread... ENJOY!